Bethel Baptist Church has a long and faithful history that began way back when it was organized May 1, 1847 by Rev. David Fleming and his wife Caroline. Bro. Fleming and his wife, along with several others, moved their letter from the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church at Martin, Tennessee. This young church met for a few years in various places in the community. In 1856, a committee was formed to find a site on which to build a permanent meeting house. Hugh McKelvy donated two acres of land at the present site and deeded it to Bethel Baptist Church to be used as a meetinghouse forever. A building was erected in 1857 on the present site and it remained until 1897 when it was torn down and a white frame building was built. That building continued to be used until 1947 when a new brick building was constructed with additions in 1968, 1973, and 1987. Bethel Baptist Church joined the Western District Association in 1848 and remained there until 1891 when they withdrew and joined the Weakley County Baptist Association, which had been formed in 1887. Preaching was held on the first Sunday of each month until 1948 when it went to “half-time” and then in 1951 to “full time.” Rev. Willie Chadwick organized the first Sunday School in 1919, Discipleship Training was organized in 1950 and the WMU came into being in 1959. All these organizations remain strong to this day. A new modern worship facility with educational space was constructed and completed in 2015 and we continue to see God work in our congregation today through various programs and ways of serving Him including Sunday School, Discipleship Training, Adult Choir, Awana’s Children’s Ministry, an active Youth Group, ACTEENS for Girls, Women’s on Mission. Various Annual events include Wild Game Supper, Easter Drama Worship, Thanksgiving Meal, Church Picnic, and Christmas Worship Celebration. We are a body of Bible believing, God fearing, People Loving Christians who desire to Honor and Glorify God, Worship our Savior, Jesus Christ and be led by His Holy Spirit.
“But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” Matthew 19:26